Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Congrats

As a purveyor of fine web sites :-> I understand the challenges of competing with the big guys. Google maps is one of my favorite sites (when I cannot get onto google earth). I was one of those guys who could easily amuse himself (stop it!) by picking up an atlas and flicking through the pages.

So for me, google maps is not just a practical tool but a sad way to pass time. I think there is a little of that in all blokes. Who has not looked up their house on the satellite view on google earth? Very very few of you I suspect.

What is more amazing given how good Google maps and Google earth is given they are free (sort of, ignoring the adverts which I always do) is that our old friend www.streetmap.co.uk is still going.

It must be like trying to sell inferior fruit from a crappy stall outside a supermarket who permanently give away fruit and veg for nothing.

Streetmap was a leader in their time and I have no doubt how the CEO felt the day he saw Google launch their offering. But the fact that they are still going deserves a prize for stubbornness in the face of impossible odds. The King Canute of web sites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home