Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Apple rocks

The Imac finally died a week ago.  All backed up on the time machine so no real issue.  But it would not boot.  I tried everything but nothing would get me past the main startup screen before it shutdown on its own.  I tried every startup keyboard combination known on the web but nothing.

So I looked around.  A few Mac repairers with bad reviews so it was off to the Apple store in regent st.  They allow you to book a session at the genius bar.  I have to say I was a little nervous as there was no mention of cost.  Turns out it is free.  Rather than charging you for the investigation they sit with you for free and attempt to get your problem resolved.   Turns out the hard drive is dead.  They will be replacing it (out of warranty so at cost) but it seemed like a good deal.

The guy helping (name unpronounceable) was excellent.  No sales pitch to buy a new MAC (a problem with some of the Mac repair companies).  He actually stated what I already was thinking.  If all you do on your MAC is browse the web, watch videos, email etc then the machine you have will do fine and there is no point spending good money on a new one which won't do anything your existing one already does well.  Good advice.

I expect the MAC back in 5-10 days with a new hard drive in and then an evening of restoring the data from time machine.  Money well spent I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home