Sunday, January 29, 2012

Can't is not the same as won't

To complete my triptic of pieces today I turn my guns on the dreaded customer service.

'Sorry Sir we can't do that' is a phrase I am starting to hear lately especially in call centres.  What they mean, and I point out every time I hear it is simply that they are mixing up 'can't' with 'won't'.  Won't of course sounds bad, can't implies some level of helplessness that will engender sympathy with the customer.

So all you companies out there start to think about a few things

1) Your customers are not all stupid so stop treating them like it
2) If you won't do something (normally because it is outside of your 'policy') be upfront about it.  Use won't do it.  We know you CAN do these things because they are not physically impossible.  You can't walk on water, you can't predict the lotto numbers but you WON'T send me a replacement if you miss-supply me something, not CANT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home