Friday, November 27, 2009

The sceptic's round

Another day, another go at the sceptic. I have covered scepticism enough in my blog for you to already know what it is. Let's use the argument from ignorance

I do not know that I am not living in the matrix
If I do not know I am not living in the matrix I do not know anything
Therefore I do not know anything

There are large numbers of arguments for an against that deductive argument (it is valid by the way). I have touched on some before.

The normal sceptic position is that any claim to know something cannot be true because it could be the matrix giving you that information and therefore it is not reality and therefore false.

Last night I was thinking there is a type of knowledge though that does not suffer from the sceptic objection (I think).

I am sitting in the pub, the sceptic would say it is not a real pub but the matrix and I could not know otherwise. I will give him that one for now.

All the guys in the pub take turns to buy the drinks until only I am left.

I know it is my round (or if it was a mate's turn I know its his round). Regardless of whether I am in the matrix or not I know its his round. So I do know something.

So I know something, the conclusion of the argument is false.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home